Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Work

So today I mostly sat at my desk and looked up things to do when the opportunity presents to not be at my desk, be it later this evening, this weekend, or a year or two from now, give or take 3 months...

Anyway, the tone of the day was very much hurry up and wait, which I might add is company policy at this point.  All morning I was harried around trying to get LAN access and my desk phone working, and then to get the corporate email available on my cellular phone.

After that was pretty much nothing, sure I read through the Project Work Plan (PWP) for the work that I'm out here for, but we've got a bottle neck when it comes to getting the drawings pulled down from the system.  It's a pretty standard bottle neck, the nuclear industry is notorious for not trusting anyone with access to their systems.  And if they do trust you, then you're screwed.  Everyone will now be coming to you for absolutely everything.  So you become the one man bottle neck that's hold up an entire office.  Just a little bit of pressure there when everyone's harrowing you about why their personal project is more important and they can't push it back any further.

I mean, at the end of the day, I don't care whether I see the stuff or not.  Just so long as I still get paid, I'm good with it.  It just tends to make for a very boring, very long day.

I'm good though, I'm practically a master of the internet, I think my friend Sniperscross might have the upper edge, or at least he used to before he got a real job and had to grow up at least in terms of his day to day internet usage.  But there comes a point in every day, especially those days when you've had nothing productive to accomplish, that you simply run out of internet.

I've got a Google Reader set up, so most of my web browsing is filtered through that means of being aggregated.  It's nice, it's convenient, but at some point, I run out of stuff to read.  That's usually when I'll go search for a new web comic to read from start to present so that I can add it to my Reader.  But there are sometimes when you can't find something worth getting into.  I don't want to say it's frustrating, I don't really know how internet boredom can be considered frustrating, but it's definitely bothersome.

I've also got a set of YouTube subscriptions, and when I'm in the home office, I can usually keep up to tabs o that as well, if not S got me a Google Tv and I can catch up on the rest of it at home.  This satellite office has it's desks set up differently than I'm used to and privacy is not really a thing you get to have here.  I'm on a cut through pod (group of four cubicle style desks where the backs of everyone face each other right by a floor printer, it's not high traffic, but I'm sure that they wouldn't appreciate Mr. Arturo Trejo or Jenna Marbles or some of the other things I watch on YouTube.

I do have some intelligent things like Veritasium and Smarter Every Day on my subscription list, but I still don't think that my personal quest for knowledge is a thing that the company is concerned with when they're paying me not just to be here, but for my lodging, food, and gas as well.

Everyone that stops by can blatantly see that I've nothing to work on.  My laptop being the only thing on my desk, kind of gives it away.  The project team basically just stops by to say that we're working on it and we'll hit it hard on Monday.

Monday.

That's practically forever away.  I've got a flight to Chicago, a drive to Milwaukee, a drive back to Chicago, and a flight to Philadelphia between Monday and I.

Not to mention IRISH FEST!  But more on that after it occurs.

Hasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment