Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Boston Day 3

Again, I'll do the pictures first, it helps to jog my memory.  I really should have taken either more photos or some notes on what to write about, I'll have to remember that in the future when I go on excursions.

Memorial Library at Harvard.

Picture from the balcony at the wedding.

Shoot out to the VIP.
Slow start to the morning, but then we headed out to Harvard.  The campus was....disappointing.  I mean, I guess I had this image in my head of this super prestigious and elite campus where everyone turned up their noses at you and whatnot.  But at the end of the day, it was like almost any other college I've been too.  Yes, some of the buildings were older than most of the colleges that I've been to but at the same time, it was very, well, lacking in impressiveness.  (Yes that's a word, Google didn't flag it out as misspelled, so there).

We walked through the campus and J one of the members of our party, knew quite a bit of information about it.  So he took us on a sort of walking tour of the area using a map on his phone.  It turns out a key part of his mission was to find a notebook that said Harvard on the front of it for his Mom.  What a nice guy!

Also, before I get to far.  It's pronounced with a very hard prolonged 'H' sound at the front of it, drag it out until you think you're going to run out of breath and then finish the rest of it in that last breath.  Just makes it more prestigious I guess.

After Harvard, we went back to the hotel to change up and shower and whatnot for the wedding.  The wedding was a short trip away in Topside, Mass, at least I think that was the name of the town.  It was an outdoor ceremony performed by a friend of theirs who got his credentials online for the wedding, it was short and sweet, but very hard to hear everything with the traffic and things going on outside, not to mention the motorcycle that must have circled the block twice.

After the wedding was a mingling hour wherein, everyone got some drinks and appetizers, they were serving Chambord Kir Royale's (Recipe Here) at the wedding, I'm not much of a champagne fan, but these really did the trick.

Rewind a bit, when we finished the wedding,  we went inside and realized that we didn't have any place cards.  S was mildly irked to say the least and she asked around to other familiar faces to see if someone had played a trick on us and just snagged our cards before we got in.

They did not.

Shit.

My first thought is, well, they're still serving us at the open bar, so it's not a total loss.  But her thought was something different.  She finds out that her cousin and her cousin's husband, also do not have a place card.  Which I figure is good news, because misery loves company sitting alone at the bar, while entertaining it it's own right, really isn't a good way to spend a wedding with the in-laws.

The girls go and hunt down the day-of-coordinator, which I guess is a thing so you don't have to do anything the day of your wedding, seems like a good gig to me.  And she checks her list and sees that we're on it, and finds a place for us.

In the balcony.

Away from 90% of the people that I've met before.

Shit...again.

Oh well, if you know me then you know that I don't really clam up in social settings, I tend to really get in there and figure out what's what.  We ended up sitting with two of S's cousins, whom I had met previous (one of which was the other one without the place card, go figure).  And the evening was not a total loss.

I'd like to give a shoot out to the bride though.  She's a dietitian, I guess, and she was really good with my allergy.  My salad, while I found it unpleasing, still contained no cheese.  My steak was also prepared sans butter.  The dessert options were cannoli cake or carrot cake.  I got a big plate of fruit (to be fair, I actually got 4ish plates of fruit because I kept running up to the balcony to grab the plate and another one was always not far behind.  As someone with my condition, it's nice to know that people are looking out for you, but on your wedding day? Come on now, there's a limit to how far I expect people to go, but I'm still very grateful.

Long night at the wedding, I'm not much of a dancer unless my BAC reaches a critical level. So I didn't much hit the dance floor.  Also, I think the bolognese may have had some dairy in it, so I wasn't operating at 100% anyhow.

Afterwards, they had to cart out all the liquor they brought in, dry county.  I guess a good portion of it ended up across the hall from us that night.  I was pretty much calling it quits due to operating 18 hours a day site seeing and the dairy curse, but I hear they had a grand old time mimicking Boston accents.

Quite a good trip so far, wouldn't you agree?

If you go over to S's blog (Website Here) You'll eventually see more pictures from the trip there.  We've both got android phones and Google+ so any pictures we take from our phones are auto-uploaded to there and the we can post them here for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment