Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Boston Day 4

Pictures first.

Old South Church.

Old South Church again.

Ceiling of Old South Church.

Old South Church organ.  There was a woman practicing while we were there.

This is a reflection on either the Prudential building or the John Hancock building.

North Chruch tower was where the lanterns were hung.  Fun Fact: He did not call out "The British are coming, the British are coming." Because at the time, everyone was British, we had not garnered our independence at that time.  What he actually said was, "The Regulars are coming, the Regulars are coming!".  The British loyalist were called Regulars.  The more you know!

Cool building, can't remember which one it is though.

Brickwork memorializing the site of the Boston Massacre.

We didn't go in, but I thought the plaque was interesting.

Alright, now down to the activities.

We came downtown and tried to figure out what to do.  We had made reservations for lunch at Atlantic Fish Co. (Website Here).  I had sashimi grade Yellow Fin Tuna, prepared rare.  I was quite amazing in my opinion, but I suppose you've really got to like raw fish to get into it.  I was pretty impressed with everything.  While we were eating they brought out a 40 year old lobster that weighed in at 7.5 pounds.  They said it was $127 but would feed about four people.  If you ratio it out, it's really not that bad of a price, all things considered.

Then we meandered around town and saw some non-Catholic churches.  Not sure what they were I want to say that one was Episcopal.  Then we hemmed and hawed for a bit trying to decide what to do. And settled on a Super Duck tour (Website Here).  I wasn't overly excited by this because Wisconsin has some ducks as well, so the whole car/boat combo was old news.  It was, after all, worthwhile though, we had a 45 minute land tour and then 45 minutes out in Boston Harbor.  I guess the Super Duck is the only one who actually is able to go out into the harbor instead of just on the river, or something like that.  Either way, Super Duck's the way to go.  First Mate Todd was a little dry, but he was more than knowledgeable about everything that was going on in the area.

After we finished up with the Super Duck tour, we walked over to St. Anthony's Festival in Boston's North End.  (Website Here).  We walked through and made a donation to St. Anthony so that J, a member of the party, could get a job interview and hopefully a job.  (Side fact:  While we were in the airport, he received an email from someone to set up a phone interview!)  After that we waited in line for what seemed like forever, to eat a Giacomo's Couldn't find a website so this will have to do).  I was very impressed with it.  I got shrimp and scallops in red sauce.  I must say that I've had scallops a lot of places and these were prepared very, very well.  

The sad fact is that they don't really have a lot of Italian food options for lactose intolerance folks. Which is awful, I could pretty much go from eating pasta one day, taco's the next day, and pizza the following day.  If I kept up that routine, I'm pretty sure that I'd never get bored with it.  Except, oh wait, cheese and pasta are like peas and carrots (to quote Forrest Gump here), same as tacos/burritos/nachos you can't have those without sour cream and cheese, I mean seriously.  Who does that?  Well, I do, and it's not the same.  Even with my lactose free/vegan/parve stuff, it's just different.  Pizza, oh good lord.  Pizza is amazing.  I've been trying to eat it sans cheese and it's just not the same.  Plus it takes about twice as long to order pizza without the cheese, the figure you're pranking them or something.  It's not fun...I usually just pick a pizza place I like and get them into a routine so that I can call in once a month and get a pizza sans cheese.

Back to Boston now.

After Giacomo's we...

Wait...back up again.  The girls while we were waiting in line, went to Modern Pastry on the North End (Website Here), to get some Italian cookies.  In our humble opinion these were of a much better quality that the Mike's Pastry cookies that I discussed previously.  I guess the draw for Mike's Pastry is the cannoli's and they didn't get any cannoli's they got cannoli's from Modern Pastry, which in turn is known for it's cookies.

So yeah, back to what I was saying...

After Giacomo's we walked back to the car. But as we were walking we passed Paul Revere's house.  It was late and it was closed for the day.

Wait...back up again...

In line for Giacomo's we almost didn't make the cut.  Turns out they really don't have formal hours, they also, don't take reservations, hence the line.  Also, they arbitrarily place a cut off point on the line and say no one after you.  We almost didn't make that cut.  Two people behind us and that was it.  Rough.  We had to turn people away.

Also, a funny side story is that the couple that was behind us was in line got a table first (They were a table of two, we were a table of 6, I get it, I'm over it...moving on).  But at the end of their meal, when they payed up, their server came over and asked if their service was okay.  They said that everything was fantastic.  She then proceeded to say that normally when you think things were fantastic you tip more than 10%...BOOM....good move on the waitresses part.  I thought the guy was going to cry.  I mean it was obviously like a second date or something they couldn't keep their hands off of each other, the PDA was ruining my shrimp and scallops...almost ruining them, those scallops were damn near perfect.   It was epic on the part of the waitress.

Back to Paul Revere's, closed.  End of story there...took a bit.  But yeah...over now.

Then we head back towards the car.  Turns out that an emergency bathroom break was needed by one member of the party.  He's also a J, just a different one than I've been mentioning.  We searched all over the freedom trail to find something.  What we were forgetting was that we were in downtown Boston on a Sunday night.  Everything was closed.  Even the port-a-john's were locked up for the night.

Rough.

A shinning beacon in the night, or was it a UFO? Brought us in the direction of Cheer's!  Oh life saving urinals of Cheer's.  I feel bad, we didn't even get a drink.  Oh well, the rest stop was appreciated by more than just J.

After that we decided to drive around Fenway park.  It was cool to see, but most of it was closed down.  They had a game earlier that day and everyone had cleared out.  We didn't even get out of the car.  Oh well, have to save something for another trip.

That's it for that night, we went back to the hotel and had some Modern Bakery and called it a night.

That's it for now.

Hasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment