Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Boston Day 2

Alright, day two.  Let's just start with the pictures and then fill in the blanks afterwards, shall we?

Captains of the U.S.S. Constitution.

I believe this was on the first level below deck.

View from the end of a pier in Salem, Mass.
Not too many pictures, but my phone was acting up and I was trying to conserve battery (Read: Play Temple Run and Words with Friends).

Anyway, Day 2 was fun.  I was fairly well rested, ate breakfast in the overpriced Marriott Peabody downstairs restaurant, and then started the day.

We started off they day visiting the Bunker Hill monument.  (Side fact: Did you know that the battle of Bunker Hill was not actually fought on Bunker Hill? Google it!).  We were going to go up the 294 steps up the monument to see the city, but it was closed for a half hour to replace some bulbs.  There's no elevator so they had to walk up and then back down.  It's supposed to be amazing once you get up there, but most of the people I was with weren't going to make the journey to the top anyway.

After that we headed to the U.S.S. Constitution, which I believe is the oldest still operating ship in the U.S. Navy.  It's nickname is Old Iron Sides because I guess they manner in which the ship was constructed, cannon balls bounced off the sides as if they were made of iron.  Pretty cool if you think about it.  I'm not much of a mariner or into old boats for that matter, but S's dad was really into it, so it was cool to see him enjoy it.  (Turns out thought he's got a fear of enclosed spaces so he didn't spend too much time below deck.)

After that we went to eat at the oldest pub in Boston.  (Website Here) I had fried oysters.  I must say that I was quite impressed, normally when I eat shellfish, they overcook the hell out of them.

Afterwards, we loaded up the cars and headed to Salem to go to Capt's Waterfront Premium Steak & Seafood Grill (Website Here).  It was an open bar and free appetizers and a pretty decent piece of fish.  I got the fish and chips, very good.

Afterward we walked out onto a pier, and by we I mean S's dad and I.  Everyone else was afraid of witches or ghosts or they ate to much for dinner.  The picture above is the shot out at the marina from the end.

After that they had a small gather of peers (Read: party) in one of the other rooms, S and I decided to play it cool, we need to try to find time to just hang out because I'm still in NJ for the foreseeable future.

Oh well, another day down.  Pretty good one too.

Hasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment